Monday, September 8, 2008

Captive to Christ

Since being at home, I have struggled with daily repetitive, seemingly meaningless tasks. Changing diapers, doing laundry, etc. I read a devotional last week written for stay at home moms. It presented this verse as a daily challenge:
We demolish arguments and every pretense that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. 2 Corinth. 10:5
How in the world do you obey that? Every thought- that is huge! I have been wanting to have my quiet time when she is napping, that hasn't happened b/c she won't nap well. I have been frustrated about not having the house how I want it, etc. The author suggested literally taking each moment and making it glorify God. It sounded almost cheesy at first but I have been trying it and it has proved to be very refreshing. Here are a few examples:

When she wakes up and cries at 3:00am, "Thank you Lord that you hear us when we cry to you..."
Ok- that was NOT my first thought at 3:00am!!

As I change the sheet on her crib, "Thank you Lord that you change hearts. Please change my heart about..."

As I hang up her clothes, "Thank you Lord that you clothe us with righteousness..."

As I wash the dishes, "Thank you Lord that you wash away our sins..."

I hope to continue this and hopefully I will find the author's words to be true...
"In the midst of the mundane duties, God has allowed me to glimpse His glory."

2 comments:

Alison said...

Cool! I love this mindset. But you are right in that it's probably not our usual one when our children wake up in the wee hours of the night! I may be interested in reading this though--what book is it?

Jennifer said...

Beautifully said! I need to start doing this too, to remind myself that in all that I do it should bring glory to God, and that my focus needs to be on HIM....and not grumbling about silly small things. Thanks for this reminder.